Sunday, January 5, 2014

Puppy Love

I had a student a while back. He was trying to pass an exam, as many of my students are. He asked for my friendship on fb and I accepted.
I was trying to figure out how old he is, all I can say is that he's done a year and a half of uni and another year of working.... I think that would make him 21 or 22 maybe 23 at the most right?

He's asked me out twice now.

It started when I was back to North America this summer. I thought nothing of it at the time. He texted me on WhatsApp at a perfectly normal time of North American day, the text said "Hey, how's it going? I'm actually outside your house". When I checked the local time on it, he was texting me at 2am. Had I been home, I'd have been furious. When I later asked why he'd texted me so late, he said that he was visiting a girl who he'd met on Badoo who lived in my building. As I said above, I didn't think anything of it. I imagined he was drunk at the time.

Two or three weeks ago I got an IM from him on Fb asking if I liked art shows. I obviously answered yes, expecting him to suggest I go see one that he'd seen or something. Instead he asked if I wanted to go with him to see an art show in a city about 2 hours from here. I was shocked and didn't know what to respond. I luckily had tentative plans with friends so I declined with that excuse but I thought it was rather odd.

Today I happened to comment on a photograph he'd put up on Fb, I was honestly hoping he'd just answer my question and leave it at that. I wanted to know where he'd bought some peanut butter as I can't find any good brands here. I got my answer but then I got private IM from him asking me various questions including if I wanted to go the pool with him and his friend tomorrow. This time I had no excuses, I couldn't think of anything half decent, it's a holiday here tomorrow. I ended up declining, simply saying I didn't think my bf would approve. He answered that it was all very innocent that they were "good guys" and that quite possibly his girlfriend wouldn't approve either.

I'm flattered, really I am, but I'm more than 10 years older than him.... wtf?! Buddy... seriously?

_________________________________

In other news I think I'm going to take the apartment. I may have found a solution to the missing room I need, the only thing that's missing now is an outdoor space. I'll miss my terrace terribly. I will. I love my terrace in the sun here.

I've been really trying to figure it out. I've been thinking about it constantly, and I just can't wait to get a space where I can work. It's the thing that I look forward to the most. A place where I don't have to keep pulling things out and putting them away again every time I want to work.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get your appartment.
Get your distance to your bf.
Get your mind free.

When you have your i-miss-my-terrace-appartment you will be ONE step further.

Then you can still look for better apparments with terraces.
You can check your realtionship more lighthearted.
Maybe you can save some additional money for later plans..?

But make a call.

PS: Don't tell me that's no that simple. It isn't but repeating your own thoughts want do you any good:)

Greetings to the beautiful south!

le

Advizor54 said...

I don't think the age gap itself is a big deal, but if you aren't attracted to him then it's best not to get his hopes up. You could ask if the BF could come along to see if his intentions are innocent.

I think the working space is more important than the terrace, can you do some sunning on the roof?