Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Inertia Creeps

Inertia Creeps is a song by Massive Attack, one of my all-time favourite bands. It's a song that makes me want to have sex with Rob. There's something about the drums at the beginning, the rhythm that could be either fast or slow, but it's sexy as hell. Even a simple strip tease would be hot to this music.
The influence isn't hard to recognize once you know where it's from, it was inspired by turkish belly dancing music.





I went and looked at the lyrics and they seem slightly erotic, but at the same time you realize there's something just... dark about them. I think it's the word 'creeps', it's not really a nice word.

I was curious about the meaning and came across this interview on a blog:


3D on the meaning behind Inertia Creeps – “It was just about a relationship I had been going through. It’s about being in a situation but knowing you should be out of it but you’re too fucking lazy or weak to leave. And you’re dishonest to yourself and dishonest to the other person. You’re betraying them everyday and the whole scene feels like it’s closing in on you. The idea is a combination of movements propelling yourself forward and pulling yourself back at the same time. That’s what the track’s, about—a fucked up relationship basically and there it is.” [Innerviews.org – September 1998]   (Blog where I found it: http://massiveattack.ie/wiki/inertia-creeps/)


Funny, isn't it?... synchronicity I guess. I can't say I feel the way he does, but it pretty much describes my situation.

As I was doing my research and watching the above video, I got distracted by this:



Yes it's the original grumpy cat.

2 comments:

cammies on the floor said...

I liked the song after listening to it.

Advizor54 said...

the belly-dancing influence is a great addition to an other-wise heavy song that makes me what to jump in front of a freight train, very cheery. LOL

The feeling of things "closing in" is appropriate, we feel like our choices, the clock, our partners, they physical space all seems to be pulling in on us. Sometimes you need to get out and back in to the fresh air and light.